Cat & Dog Teeth Cleaning
At Bottletree Animal Hospital in Oxford, we stress pets’ oral health because it has a large impact on their overall well-being. By the time pets are three years old, many of them show the signs of gum disease. The signs of tooth decay, other than bad breath, are not always obvious. Therefore, we encourage cat & dog teeth cleaning on a regular basis. When we orally examine your pet, clean above and below their gumline, and advise you an oral health routine, painful dental issues are treated and prevented.
12-Step Dental Service
To ensure that your pet’s oral cleaning is complete, we follow 12-step dental procedures. Before all procedures, anesthesia is administered and pets’ vital signs are carefully monitored throughout. Some of the steps of our dental service go above and beyond a traditional pet dental and include:
- We take digital dental X-rays for the clearest images of oral structures.
- Your pet’s teeth are brushed with antiseptic toothpaste.
- Ultrasonic scaling and hand scaling removes build up under the gum line and from tooth surfaces.
- The doctor checks for any problems such as recession, bleeding, tumors, growths, abnormalities, etc.
- Extractions are performed, which may be needed if a tooth is not able to be saved, but only after a conversation with the owner
- We use sutures and stitches in the tooth cavity after an extraction.
- Teeth are polished to remove grooves, scratches, etching, etc. This also decreases the amount of buildup that comes back on the teeth.
- We show you before and after photos to show the progress of dental cleaning.
- Oravet dental sealant is applied to prevent future decay.
- Patients are started on a daily dental chew for their ongoing oral health.
Since dental health is so important for our patients, we make every effort to provide complete and exceptional care at all times. Our team is equipped to educate pet owners about the care that they need in order to maintain their oral, and by extension, their physical health. Our team members would be happy to talk with you to educate you about your pet’s needs or to make an appointment with us. Call us at (662) 234-4336 today!